Thursday, September 10, 2009

Olson Family Labor Day Visit

My parents and both of my brothers came to visit us over Labor Day weekend. It was really fun. My mom got here Wednesday night, my dad and Erik arrived Friday evening and Scott came later that night. We wanted to do something different because we had done most of the usual Salt Lake touristy things. We decided to make the 4 hour drive to Moab. We left Saturday morning and headed out on our road trip to Price. Price is a small town in Central Utah that has the Collage of Eastern Utah's Prehistoric Museum.


After visiting I would use the term "museum" loosely, but it was still pretty cool. There was a little kids play area that we all enjoyed. I mean that Sophie really liked.



After spending some time at the museum, we got lunch and then putted around town a bit before heading to and even smaller town Green River. We got to our hotel and all went swimming. Sophie had a good time and seemed to really like the water, especially the hot tub. After the swim we all cleaned up and when to dinner at one of the only two restaurants in the whole town.

The next morning we headed out early because we still had an hour drive to Arches National Park. We decided to head to the Delicate Arch hike first becasue it was going to be the most challenging of all the arches that we wanted to see. It might only be 1 1/2 miles but it is hot, a high elevation and did I mention hot? While you are hiking it seems like it might not be worth it, but once you reach the arch you know why you did it. We had such a great time at Arches and was so glad that we decided to go there.


The next day was Monday and Mike had to work (Labor Day was his holiday to work) so the rest of us head to Antelope Island. I had only been there once before when Scott visited a year or so ago, but not everything was open when we went before, so we got to see some new stuff this time. Here are some shots from the island. In case you are wondering where there are island in Utah, it is in the Great Salt Lake.




On the island there is a little ranch with the home where the ranch hands lived since the island was modernly inhabited. It was neat to see how they got by on the island with so little modern technologies. I mean what did they do with out the internet? The pictures below are my parents trying to rope "the bulls." I don't think that they would make very good cowboys.


4 comments:

Daniel, Sara, Dmitri & Paige said...

Ummm... two things. I wish Dmitri would use the leash! I tried it on him at Target - and he FLIPPED OUT! He thought the dog was attacking him because he was being held back, and when he turned his head, all he saw was the dog starring back at him. It was funny - but he let out the LOUDEST scream at Target XD That was 2 months ago - so maybe I should try it again :}
And.... Sophie's brown shorts. I bought those same ones for Dmitri. I saw them in the sales section and they didn't say boy or girl... so I hope they're unisex {if not he's been sporting girl shorts}! :}
But Sophie's so stinkin' CUTE!!
And I can't wait to see you either! We'll have to take the kiddies out together while the boys do their thing :)

Rachael said...

How fun!!!!

Debbie Olson said...

What do you mean you don't think we would be good cowboys? ROFL

Thanks for showing us around in the great state of UTAH!

Unknown said...

how fun! i meant to ask you about this weekend - the magic of blogging! I'm glad you take your family so many places - i didn't even know about all that stuff here...