Friday, March 19, 2010

Going Bald? Hopefully Not

You may think at first that I am referring to Mike, but it is not so. Mike has a nice full and thick head of hair. I, on the other hand, am losing my hair or at least some of it. When I was getting my hair done in February, Ciara, my awesome hair stylist, found two nickel size spots of missing hair. I didn’t really think too much about it, but since then it has gotten progressively worse. I do not have an official diagnoses yet (the Dr. appt is next week) but we are pretty sure that it is Alopecia Areata. Basically totally health people can have their hair just fall out in patches. There is no cure and not really any long-term treatments either. Most treatment is just observation so I figured I should take a few pictures just to track the progress of it.

They say that no two cases of Alopecia are alike. Some people lose just little patches and then it grows back in a few months, years, or not at all. In others it will just continue to fall out. Some people can lose all their hair completely for years and then it will start growing back in again. It is just really unpredictable. I will give you an update after seeing my Dr.


It a little hard to tell from the pictures, but one spot is on the top of my head near my part. The other is under my hair on my right side as pictured in the last photo.

These two are the same spot


This one is a little bigger, but it's under my other hair so you can't really see it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the Lord likes to throws us curve balls. Good Luck!

Rachael said...

Poor girl! I'm sure it will be fine.

Shirley said...

I have heard of that. I am glad you are going to the doctor just to be sure. Lots of love to you sweetie. Nice you are going to see your mom this weekend.

Trisha said...

I have three cousins that have experienced alopecia, two of them just temporary. The reason I grow my hair is to donate it. I just chopped it all off in January for locks of love. We miss you guys. Best wishes to you.

Unknown said...

On the bright side, maybe Ciara will start giving you a discount b/c you have less hair to cut! lol xo!